Have you made any new year's resolutions? I'm not one that typically makes "resolutions", but rather likes to set goals periodically. I think it makes things more attainable and realistic. But whether it's a resolution or a goal, saving money is something we all like to feel we're doing a better job of.
Now, I don't consider myself an extreme coupon clipper or die hard frugal girl, but I DO like to save money whenever possible. Over the past few years, I've found that some of my best payoffs are made when I just do a little planning and get certain things from certain stores. Part of that includes the things I buy at the dollar store.
I'm fortunate that there are 2 local Dollar Tree stores nearby so chances are, I am usually on my way running errands near at least one of them. The items listed below are the top 5 things I always buy at Dollar Tree, but they could just as easily be from any other dollar store. Of course, there are always seasonal and other fun, new discoveries when I visit the Dollar Tree, but these 5 items are ones that I exclusively buy from there and I've found it to be very rewarding on my wallet!
1. Toothbrushes - Have you ever actually checked out the toothbrush and toothpaste aisle at Dollar Tree? They have an insane selection of kids and adult toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss, toothpick thingys, and more! And they are all the same brands you find at Target, WalMart, and other retailers, too. I couldn't beleive the first time I discovered it. Many of their kids toothbrushes are the ones that come with a cover that you can suction cup to the bathroom mirror. One of the things I love to do is pick up those kids toothbrushes from Dollar Tree and use them for when we travel. They're only a buck and the kids get a new toothbrush on our vacation (and new toothpaste) so I don't have to feel like we're lugging old, germy ones around with us. Then when we are ready to head back home, we can just throw them away at the hotel and never look back. Dollar Tree also has a great selection of adult toothbrushes (the good kind, too!) and many of them come in packs of 2 so you actually get 2 toothbrushes for a dollar. Not bad. See why I always buy our stash of toothbrushes and toothpaste at Dollar Tree?
2. Parchment Paper - Ok so I know this seems kind of odd to include this in my list, but I use a TON of parchment paper. I hate cleaning cookie sheets so I almost always line them with parchment paper when I am cooking everything from cookies to frozen garlic toast to bacon in the oven. I used to always buy the big brand name one at Target but since I've discovered the exact same brand and size roll at Dollar Tree, that ship has sailed! Of course, they also carry other great finds like foil and snack zip bags but with as much parchment paper as we go through, I just had to include it in my top 5 list.
3. Batteries - Dollar Tree carries some of the same quality name brand batteries that many other retailers do and for just a buck per pack, this is why I choose to always buy them there. We go through batteries like crazy with all of these boys and their toys so it just makes sense to get a huge stash of batteries to have them on hand for when things like our TV remote needs them or kids' toys. Dollar Tree usually has a pack of about 4 to 6 double A batteries for one dollar, which you can't find anywhere else (not even with a coupon!). Also, Dollar Tree batteries are great for remembering to pack when you are traveling and you might need replacements for things like cameras, small toys, or other electronics.
4. Disposable Aluminum Foil Pans - I tend to use a lot of disposable aluminum (foil) pans (both with and without lids) from time to time and I've found Dollar Tree to be the best and cheapest place to find these brand name disposable aluminum foil pans. They are great for things like baked bread (for gifting), bringing in classroom treats, holiday baking and cooking, and more. I mostly like to always have a stash of at least one casserole sized disposable aluminum foil pan with lid for those times when I am making a meal for a new mom or for someone who is ill. Many times the smaller sized pans will come 2 to a pack, making for an even better deal. But, a dollar for the lasagne sized one with a lid is still unbeatable.
5. Movie Theater Boxed Candy - This is probably my (along with my boys) all-time favorite thing to buy at Dollar Tree. It's our go-to source for movie candy or candy and snacks for just hanging out at the baseball park during the summer. We always stock up on our favorites and that way the next time we decide to head to the movie, we've got our candy in hand. One of the best finds I've made is the pack of 5 Ring Pops for $1. They sell these at the concession stands where my boys play baseball for 50 cents to one dollar EACH! I usually buy enough of these to hand out to the other little kids hanging out watching the games along with mine.
Your turn: What are your favorite Dollar store finds?
CANDY TAI is a wife to David and mom of 5 with a degree in Communications. She's a native Texan (Hook 'Em Horns!) who's been making her home in the Kansas City metro area for nearly 15 years. She loves being able to shuffle her kids from their various sports activities, piano lessons, and school activities. She enjoys fashion, beauty, reality TV, and moviegoing.