Being a parent is one of the biggest tasks most people will undertake throughout their lives. You will have to spend the next few years looking after someone else, making sure that their needs are met and that they can grow up healthily, and all of this work will take up a huge amount of your time. With all of the effort you have to sink into it, it can often feel like this is the only role you’ll ever know. It doesn’t have to be this way, though, and this post is here to help you to make a difference in your own life. To give you an idea of what can be done to be more than a mom, it will be exploring the work which you will need to do.
First, it’s a good idea to think about why you’d be doing this sort of work, along with the sort of benefits it could bring. There are loads of reasons to want to take control over your life like this. Below, you can find some examples of them, but you should also think about how this could enhance other parts of your life, as most people will have their own reasons to want to do a little bit more with their life.
- Achieving Dreams: When you start the process of raising another human, the dreams and aspirations you once had can feel like they have to put on the back burner. This is an awful shame, though, as there isn’t much need for it. By going down a different route, you could achieve the dreams you’ve had since being a child, and this is a great gift to give yourself.
- Being A Role Model: While your children are very young, the way you act and the things you do will be shaping their future. If they are able to observe you working hard at both being a parent and working on your own career, they will find it much easier to be inspired to work hard themselves going into the future. It’s always a good idea to make something like dedication a regular thing in their lives.
- Improving Your Income: There are very few family homes throughout the world which wouldn’t get something out of a boost to their income. By taking on additional work, this is something you could provide to your flock, opening the doors to a more comfortable life and a secure future. Some people spend many years trying to save money to achieve this goal, when you can skip that step by simply making more.
- For Fun: The things you dedicate yourself to in life should always be things which you enjoy. Embarking on a journey like this can be very exciting, with loads of twists and turns along the way, and most people will like the experience they have. Of course, though, if you don’t find yourself in this position, it could be worth looking for something else to take over.
Having a good reason to get started with this sort of work is only the first part of taking it on. Along with this, you’re going to have to think a lot about the role you’d like to fill, and the way that you’re going to get there. To help you out with this element of your journey, you can find some examples of the common routes to take below, followed by some ideas which will give you what you need to find your way there.
- A Career: The simplest way to go will be to find a normal career to get into. Working for someone else will give you loads of security, while also giving you the chance to find out exactly what qualifications and experience you might need to do it. If you like the sound of this sort of direction, it will be worth using some recruitment sites to see what roles are available, as this will give you idea of where you can take it.
- A Business: For people with a little more drive, running a business could be a great alternative to a career. This will take more effort, but will have much greater earning potential, while also enabling you to work from home if you’d like to. Having something which can grow over time is excellent when you have kids to worry about, as they probably won’t be at home forever.
- A Hobby: You don’t have to go into something which will earn a steady income to be more than a mom. Charity work, hobbies, and loads of other interests can be a great way to broaden your horizons and add something to your life. It can be very easy to feel like your identity is based on being a parent. While this is a nice notion at first, it can start to get hard as you go into the future.
Choosing the route you’d like to take is a very personal thing. You have to think about much more than the present, with the future playing a big role in the decision you make. To help you to find some additional options, it could be worth looking at a couple more blog posts, especially those which follow a career-based theme. Having this sort of research under your belt will ensure that you follow a path which you like.
Once you’ve got an idea of the route you’d like to take, you will have the task of choosing the way you’re going to get there. There are loads options at this stage, and most people will like the sound of more than one. To make sure that you’re choosing the best for you, you will have to look into both the field itself and the options available, covering both of the important angles which come with this.
- Education: Learning can take you a long way in the modern world. In a time built on intelligence, having anything ranging from a degree in fashion to an online engineering management course can be enough to give you an edge against others working in your field. Of course, you will need to choose a good option to get started with, and this will take some research. It will be all be worth it once you’re doing the job you want, though.
- Experience: There are a lot of skills which can be picked up purely through experience. Working with people, for example, can often only be learned through exposure to people, and putting yourself in positions where you have to talk can be very helpful. This sort of approach can apply to pretty much any route you’d like to take, and could work well to supplement a strong education.
- Getting To Work: Even when the kids are very young, you will probably have spare time which is spent on nearly nothing throughout your day. Instead of using this to watch TV or catch up on social media, you could be putting down some time towards a life which is much more varied than simple parenting. A lot of people hesitate when they are working to change their life, but this sort of time wasting won’t often help.
Of course, it would be silly to think that balancing being a parent with a career or time-consuming interest will be easy. You will already have loads on your plate, and your workload isn’t likely to lessen for many years. This sort of issue will take a lot of determination to overcome, and you will need to be able to manage your time effectively if you want to be successful. As time goes on, you will slowly get more and more time to yourself, and this makes choosing a route which will have some room to grow a good idea.
A lot of moms spend a huge portion of their life acting as just a mom. Of course, this isn’t a bad thing, and it offers a great chance to have a peaceful and satisfying life. It won’t be for everyone, though. If you find yourself thinking about the dreams you used to have, looking for ways to improve your family’s security, or simply to add more to your day, this could be the perfect option for you. It will be worth doing some research for yourself, as this will almost always give you the best chances to achieve the goals you’re setting for yourself.
With all of this in mind, it should be a lot easier to inspire yourself to add a little more to your life. There are loads of blogs around the web which cover this sort of idea, going into detail for each of the areas covered in this post. It will be worth looking for as many as possible, as this will enable you to see what other people are doing, along with sparking more ideas for your own future. It’s possible to change you life in ways which most people would think impossible; you just have to work to get there.
CANDY TAI is a wife to David and mom of 5 with a degree in Communications. She's a native Texan (Hook 'Em Horns!) who's been making her home in the Kansas City metro area for nearly 15 years. She loves being able to shuffle her kids from their various sports activities, piano lessons, and school activities. She enjoys fashion, beauty, reality TV, and moviegoing.